Almost 40 million Californians have been required to stay home since the shelter-in-place order went into effect on March 19th. Residents were told to limit social interaction with people they do not live with, remain six feet apart from others, and wear a mask when they cannot remain at a safe distance.
In order to slow the spread of coronavirus, businesses have been closed and unfortunately, many people have been laid off because of it. Over 4.6 million people have filed for unemployment insurance in California since March 12th.
On Tuesday, San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced an important step toward reopening the city and starting the “new normal”.
Beginning Friday, June 12, restaurants in San Francisco that are permitted for sit-down meal service will be able to offer outdoor dining service with health & safety protocols in place.https://t.co/4TrKZd5Bu3
— London Breed (@LondonBreed) June 9, 2020
“Opening our restaurants is a great step that will help our small businesses that are struggling, our workers who need paychecks, and our residents who are ready to safely sit outside and enjoy a meal,” said Mayor Breed. “We have supported our small businesses with economic grants and assistance throughout the pandemic and will continue provide health guidance to help keep their employees and customers safe. Our continued reopening is dependent on each of us, as customers, employees, and San Franciscans to do our part by wearing our face coverings, keeping social distance, staying home if sick, and following the other health guidelines that will slow the virus spread.”
In order to safely reopen, the city has begun to release rules and regulations for businesses. The only places allowed to open for outdoor dining are ones that provide permitted sit-down meal service.
The statement said a new set of rules will be released Friday, June 12th, and, “Meals must be prepared and served by the outdoor dining establishment or another person or business operating under an agreement with the outdoor dining establishment. Brewpubs, breweries, bars, pubs, craft distilleries, wineries, and tasting rooms that do not provide permitted sit-down meal service must remain closed to the public, except for takeaway retail sales allowed by the order.”
Some of the rules are already in place; according to the mayor’s official statement,
- Customers must remain outside the dining establishment except for limited times such as using the restroom, making an order, or walking through the building to get to the outdoor dining area.
- Tables must be limited to 6 customers, except for members of the same household.
- People in the same party seated at the same table do not have to be six feet apart.
- Customers must wear face coverings until seated and any time they leave the table, such as to use a restroom.
- Establishments will be required to comply with strict cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
- Social Distancing Protocol in the Shelter in Place Order issued on June 1, 2020.
- Food Preparation or Delivery Essential Businesses (Directive 2020-05) including for takeout or delivery.