President Joe Biden waits to sign his first executive order in the Oval Office of the White House on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
“I thought there’s no time to wait. Get to work immediately,” Biden told reporters in the Oval Office.
With his signature, Biden will end Trump’s travel ban from some Muslim-majority countries, rejoin the Paris Climate Accord and the World Health Organization, stop construction on Trump’s United States, Mexico border wall and revoke the approval of the Keystone XL oil pipeline.
One of the more noticeable orders is committing to a 100 day national mask mandate, requiring masks and physical distancing in all federal buildings, on all federal lands and by federal employees and contractors. Over 400,000 people have died in the United States due to coronavirus and President Biden hopes to slow the spread of the virus with the mask mandate.
After taking the oath of office this afternoon, I got right to work taking action to:
– Control the pandemic
– Provide economic relief
– Tackle climate change
– Advance racial equity
— President Biden (@POTUS) January 20, 2021
“There is no time to waste when it comes to tackling the crises we face. That’s why today, I am heading to the Oval Office to get right to work delivering bold action and immediate relief for American families.” Tweeted President Joe Biden.
Biden’s Day One executive orders, as described by the transition team:
- Launch a “100 Days Masking Challenge” and Leading by Example in the Federal Government
- Re-Engage with the World Health Organization to Make Americans and the World Safer
- Structure Our Federal Government to Coordinate a Unified National Response [to Covid-19]
- Extend Eviction and Foreclosure Moratoriums
- Extend Student Loan Pause
- Rejoin the Paris Agreement on Climate Change
- Roll Back President Trump’s Environmental Actions in Order to Protect Public Health and the Environment and Restore Science
- Launch a Whole-of-Government Initiative to Advance Racial Equity
- Reverse President Trump’s Executive Order Excluding Undocumented Immigrants from the Reapportionment Count
- Preserve and Fortify Protections for Dreamers
- Reverse the Muslim Ban
- Repeal of Trump Interior Enforcement Executive Order
- Stop Border Wall Construction
- Deferred Enforced Departure for Liberians Presidential Memorandum
- Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation
- Executive Branch Personnel Ethics Executive Order
- Regulatory Process Executive Order and Presidential Memorandum