Ten Dead, Hundreds Injured at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival

Travis Scott arrives at the MTV Video Music Awards at Barclays Center on Sunday, Sept. 12, 2021, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

Update: November 15, 2021 12:00pm

The 9-year-old boy who was injured at the Astroworld Festival died Sunday, according to family attorney Ben Crump via CNN.

The death toll from the chaotic concert now stands at 10. Funeral services for some of the victims began over the weekend as dozens of lawsuits have been filed over the tragedy.

The boy, identified as Ezra Blount by his family, had been in a medically induced coma in an attempt to overcome brain, liver and kidney trauma, according to a statement from Crump.

“The Blount family tonight is grieving the incomprehensible loss of their precious young son. This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert, what should have been a joyful celebration. Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking. We are committed to seeking answers and justice for the Blount family. But tonight we stand in solidarity with the family, in grief, and in prayer,” the statement from Crump said.

Ezra was in Houston to see “his favorite artist” and attended the concert with his father Treston Blount, his grandfather Bernon Blount has told CNN.

Concertgoers were crushed, trampled and struggled to breathe as the packed crowd surged toward an outdoor stage when rapper and headliner Travis Scott started performing.

“When my son went to the concert, he had my grandson on his shoulder,” Blount said. “All the people pushed in, and he could not breathe so he ended up passing out because of all the pressure that was being applied to his body. And when he passed out, Ezra fell off his shoulder and fell into the crowd.”


Update: November 11, 2021 1:20pm

Astroworld crowd surge claims its ninth victim.

A 22-year-old woman who was critically injured at the Astroworld Festival in Houston died Wednesday night. Bharti Shahni is the ninth person to die from fans pushing toward the stage as Travis Scott performed.

Shahani was on a ventilator in critical condition days after suffering injuries while at the concert with her cousin and younger sister, reported CNN.

“Bharti was a shining star in the community,” Shahani’s family attorney James Lassiter said. “She was a sister, a daughter, a high-achieving college student about to graduate from Texas A&M University with high, high grades.”

Attorney Randy Zelin joins The Chip Franklin show to explain who is liable for the tragedies.


Update: November 10, 2021 10:30am

Astroworld is now facing two dozen lawsuits.

Live Nation Entertainment and ScoreMore Holdings, two concert production and entertainment companies that organized and produced the event, are being sued, as well as performers Travis Scott and Drake.

ABC News Correspondent Derricke Dennis joins the Chip Franklin show to talk about the deadly stage surge during Astroworld Festival at NRG Park in Houston, Texas, leaving eight concertgoers dead and hundreds injured.

Dennis and Franklin discuss where the legal proceedings may go, listen below.


A crowd surge at the Astroworld Festival in Houston killed eight people, injured dozens, and caused 300 people to seek medical treatment on Friday, November 5.

Rapper Travis Scott was performing when eight concertgoers – ages 14 through 27 – were trampled to death. Scott continued performing for 37 minutes after first responders were first notified of spectators being harmed.

On Monday, Scott announced he will cover the funeral costs for the eight individuals who died at Astroworld and refund each person who attended the festival.

Scott also announced that he has partnered with BetterHelp to supply free online therapy to attendees in need.

Police are investigating the cause of the surge, which according to Houston authorities, could take weeks. Several lawsuits have already been filed against Scott and others involved.

Scott was arrested in 2015 after telling his fans to jump the barricades during his Lollapalooza performance and in 2017 for encouraging people to rush the stage at a performance in Arkansas.

Entertainment company Live Nation said the Astroworld Festival team has been working with authorities over the weekend, according to a statement released on Twitter on Monday.

“Throughout the weekend, we have been working to provide local authorities with everything they need from us in order to complete their investigation and get everyone the answer they are looking for,” the statement said.  

Travis Scott released the following statement on Twitter:


Attorney David Katz joins The Pat Thurston Show to discuss the pending lawsuits on musician Travis Scott after the weekend’s tragedy.

Mark Thompson and Bret Burkhart talk about the Travis Scott “Mass Casualty” event.

ABC News Correspondent Jim Ryan brings the latest information on the Astroworld investigation and lawsuits aginst Travis Scott to the Morning Show with Nikki Medoro. Callers share their thoughts on what could have been done to prevent the tragedy.

Local News

KGO Events

 

Stay updated with KGO 810

Subscribe to KGO 810’s weekly eblast to get the latest information on local news, events, and exclusives from your favorite personalities.